Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Necesita Más Comida!

It's been a few weeks since I've blogged, but boy have I been busy! Not only was last week the greatest food holiday ever, but I spent the week before that in beautiful Playa Tamarindo, Costa Rica with Patrick & a group of our friends. We did a lot of awesome stuff like ziplining through the jungle, repelling down the side of a waterfall, horseback riding, white water rafting and surfing, but one of the very best parts of the trip was the incredible food!

Fish tacos happen to be one of my favorite foods, so I was excited to eat them non-stop for the whole week I was there. The best one I had, which also happened to be the first one I had, was at a small surfing hang-out called "Eat at Joes." It was called the Mega Taco and was the size of an overstuffed burrito. The main fish used in Costa Rica is Mahi Mahi, and this taco was a delicious mix of the fish, fresh vegetables and a homemade tortilla with a side of rice. I have always really loved rice as a side-dish to most meals, but when it comes on the side of a taco, I always stuff it into the tortilla too. This taco truly was one of the biggest tacos I've ever had, and also one of the best. The trip was off to a great start!
For dinner, we tried a place called Nogui's Sunset Cafe that had been recommended to us by several locals. We were all craving surf and turf and were told this was the place to get it. Patrick and I shared mixed seafood ceviche (delicious) and shrimp tacos (amazing) to start, and I ordered the surf and turf with a filet (medium rare) and tuna (also medium rare.) Everything was perfect and cooked just the way I like it. I was truly in foodie heaven.
Throughout the week, I tried lots of great food including a huge plate of tacos for $2 each during "Taco Tuesday," a flat crust pizza with mozzarella & Parmesan, Mahi Mahi stuffed with shrimp and LOTS of rice and beans. Costa Rica was a beautiful place to visit, and I really enjoyed the local flavors. I hope to return one day!
When you go on vacation, do you try the local cuisines? What has been your favorite dish you've had while on vacation? I am most looking forward to traveling to Italy and trying the local pasta, wine, cheese and bread. Mmmm!

Let's Eat!
-The Fabulous Foodie

1 comment: