Thursday, February 24, 2011

Tonnie's Minis

I'm about to break every single one of my own rules regarding food, and I'm perfectly okay with it. No, I don't like sweets. No, I don't usually order dessert when I go out to dinner. But I do enjoy the occasional "dessert" if it's not overly sweet and I'm in the mood for it.

A few nights ago, Patrick and I went to Harlem for dinner at Red Rooster. As any foodie would be, I was excited about the meal. I expressed my excitement on Twitter (@FabFoodieBites) and received a Tweet from a handle called @Tonnies_MINIS telling me that when I'm up in Harlem for my dinner at Red Rooster, I should stop by their store Tonnies a few blocks away (at 123rd & Lenox, right off the 2/3 train) and try some cupcakes.
In addition to loving food, I also love social media, and I was impressed by this outreach. I went back and forth with them a few times, and they asked if I would come and order the Carrot Cupcake (since I like Carrot Cake). I asked Patrick if he wouldn't mind heading to Harlem a little early to stop by Tonnie's, and of course he said he wouldn't. So off we went to Harlem! Tonnie's really is only 3 blocks away from Red Rooster, so we went inside. I asked to talk to the person who manages their Twitter account, and it turns out I had just missed him. Chris, if you're reading this, I'd love to meet you! Patrick got a Red Velvet Cupcake and I ordered the Carrot Cupcake.
Since we were heading to dinner, we saved them for after, and we went to Red Rooster for a fabulous meal (more on that later!)

When we got home that night, we were stuffed, but I had to try the cupcake. I know there is a HUGE debate over the best cupcakes in New York City (Tonnie's Minis made the top 12 in that list!) and I'm certainly not the right person to make that decision, but these cupcakes were fantastic. Moist cake, creamy frosting and the perfect balance between the 2 made for a dessert that I actually enjoyed (!!) Patrick agreed that the cupcakes were great.

Tonnie's, your cupcakes are worth traveling from Chelsea all the way up to Harlem for a taste, and your social media outreach is impressive. Keep up the good work, I'll definitely be back, and I'll be sending you many more customers.

Alright everyone, let's hear it- what is your favorite cupcake in New York City, and why?

Let's Eat!
-The Fabulous Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment