Monday, January 10, 2011

Brunch Spots: good restaurant

Weekend brunch is one of my favorite things about New York City. For me, combining two meals into one means I can pretty much go wild and eat whatever I want. Such was the case this past weekend with brunch at good restaurant in the West Village.

Patrick and I originally wanted to go to Cafeteria for some Mac & Cheese, but even at noon the wait was 1/2 hour. We were way too hungry for that, so I suggested we try good. I'd only ever been for drinks, and Jill had been telling me the brunch was awesome, so we decided to give it a try. We walked to the restaurant and saw that it was fairly busy, but they told us the wait would only be about 15 minutes. Then two seats opened at the bar, so we took our name off the list and sat there. Thus began one of the very best brunches I have ever had.

On the bar sat a tower of amazing-looking pastries including Cheddar Cornbread, Pumpkin Spice Bread, Buttermilk Biscuits, Orange Sour Cream Doughnuts and several others. We ordered cappuccinos and decided to order the basket of 3 pastries for $10 to try a few of them. We got the Cornbread, the Pumpkin Bread & the Doughnuts and sat sipping our drinks while we waited.In the meantime, the bartender/our waiter told us about the brunch special: Baked Eggs served with Sausage in Tomato Sauce, Pecorino, Mushrooms & Creamy Polenta. While all the items on the menu looked incredible (Lemon Ricotta pancakes, Banana-Stuffed French Toast, Breakfast Burrito, etc.) Patrick and I both chose the brunch special.

Our basket of goodies came to the table and it was a LOT of food. We began to go to work, and started with the doughnuts, which were served drizzled with glaze and piping hot. These doughnuts were amazing. Rich, moist and bursting with the flavor of oranges, I enjoyed every bite. The doughnuts weren't overly sweet at all, so for me, they were just perfect. I finished my doughnut and moved onto the Pumpkin Spice Bread which was also served warm and was also very yummy. Patrick agreed with me, and we both saved our Cornbread for our main courses.The enormous plates were set down in front of us, and the smell was intoxicating. We both went in for a bite and agreed on the dish with a collective "mmmm!" The eggs were perfectly runny, the sausage was tasty and well-seasoned, the cheese was (of course) delicious and the polenta was creamy. Each bite was better than the one before it, and when the dish was paired with the Cheddar Cornbread, it honestly blew my mind. I had never had one single brunch dish that tasted better than this, and both of us completely cleaned our plates.To add to the experience, my water glass was always kept filled, the staff was very friendly, the decor was charming and the prices were reasonable. While we were eating, Jill was leaving the Equinox next door so she stopped in to say hi, and I let her know that she had made a wonderful suggestion.

If you're looking for a better than "good" brunch option on the weekend, try good restaurant in the West Village. They don't take reservations, but you can always try to get a seat in the bar area, and even if you can't, the food is well worth the wait.

I still want to hear about your favorite brunch spots! I'm also curious about what time you typically head to brunch. I usually go around noon-1pm, but have definitely gone much later if the night before was a late one. I'm lucky to live in NYC where acceptable brunch hours are 11am to as late as 5pm.

Let's Eat!
-The Fabulous Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment