Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Got my Mojo Back!

Since I’m always writing about food, you’d probably think that all I ever do is eat. This is partially true, but I also do like to go to the gym as much as possible. This activity is necessary so that I can continue to eat all the time. I realize this is odd, and you’ll probably laugh out loud when you hear it, but I can never make it through an entire workout without getting ravenously hungry. It’s easy to see why this is a problem.

I often take a page out of the book of Ms. Peanut Butter Fingers, a blog my friend Caroline told me about, and eat something peanut-buttery right before a hard workout. This usually keeps me full enough so that my growling stomach doesn’t drown out the music in the gym. I then often treat myself to an actual spoonful of peanut butter immediately following my workout. (Also be sure to check out Caroline’s blog, she’s much better at this whole exercising thing than I am!)

Someone recently told me that I absolutely had to try Clif Mojo bars in Peanut Butter Pretzel.Boy were they right! I picked a few up at Trader Joes. and then a few more when I accidentally left them in the bag and threw them down my garbage chute (I wish I could say that was the first time something like this had happened. RIP Melissa’s Christmas Present!) I ate half of a Mojo tonight before going to the gym, and I have to say, I powered right through an intense hour-long workout. I barely thought about food (once or twice instead of my usual 10-15 times) and had the energy to crank up the elliptical a few levels higher than usual. I even finished off with 100 crunches!

I’m heading to Miami two weeks from tomorrow with three of my girlfriends and I have to say, the thought of putting on a bathing suit currently terrifies me. But with the help of a few more ½ Clif Mojo bars pre-workout, I’ll be strutting my stuff in South Beach in no time. I'm sure the Clif Mojo bars aren't the healthiest thing I could eat, but when I'm burning 600+ calories per workout, I think it's just fine.

What do you usually eat right before/right after an intense workout? Please let me know, I’d love to hear from you.

Let’s Eat!
-The Fabulous Foodie

2 comments:

  1. Oooh I'll have to try this, it looks awesome! I really love the Luna Toasted Nuts 'n Cranberry before/during a workout and am always looking for a new Peanut Butter bar. Thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one foodie to another, I unfortunately have the same problem. I have to try this one! Right now I'm addicted to the Kashi GoLean Crunch bar in chocolate pretzel. :)

    ReplyDelete