Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Ace Hotel Does it Again

As you've read, I recently had an outstanding meal at The John Dory Oyster Bar and a great lunch (including bone marrow) at The Breslin, both located in the fabulous Ace Hotel on 29th & Broadway. As if two incredible restaurants weren't enough, the Ace is also home to Stumptown Coffee Roasters, a coffee shop that I was worried would be super cheesy based on the long line and hipster-y staff, but was proven wrong. I went this past weekend to get a coffee with a friend, and not only was the coffee delicious, but the staff was incredibly attentive and nice. While we were waiting for our drinks, the barista asked us how we were doing and if we had any plans for the day. It was a really small gesture, but since I'm used to my usual Starbucks crew hurling drinks at me without even looking up, it was a nice surprise. And look how pretty my coffee was:
And there's more! This afternoon, Patrick & I met for lunch at No. 7 Subs, a tiny sandwich shop in the hotel that always has a line out the door. We waited for about 10 minutes and once we got inside we were met with an amazing list of sandwich options. I chose the Broccoli with Lychee Muchim, Ricotta Salata & Pine Nuts while Patrick chose the Braised Short Ribs with Daikon Salad & Coconut Mayo.

The sandwiches took about 15 minutes to come out, but once we got a space by the window and unwrapped our lunch, I realized it had been worth every second of the wait.
My broccoli sandwich was nothing short of remarkable. I absolutely love meat and couldn't even imagine going vegetarian, but this was one of the most delicious sandwiches I've ever tasted and there wasn't a single piece of meat to be found. The broccoli was smoky and perfectly roasted, the cheese was creamy and the bread.. oh the bread! The bread was heavenly. Crunchy outside, chewy in the middle, I now understand why No. 7 Subs shuts down the second they run out of this fabulous bread. It really made the sandwich.

Then I tasted Patrick's sandwich and was equally impressed by the flavor. A little sweet, a little savory, this sandwich was a true masterpiece:

It turned out that a few of my co-workers also went to No. 7 Subs today and got a few of the other offerings, but the opinion of No. 7 Subs was the same across the board: these are some of the best sandwiches in the city!

What are some of your favorite sandwiches? Do you prefer classics, or do you like when there are a few twists, like at No. 7 Subs?

Let's Eat!
-The Fabulous Foodie

1 comment: